Villia's Vegan Rice Pudding
- 3 cups unsweetened and unflavored non-dairy milk (such as soy or almond)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 1 cup medium grain white rice
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup jaggery, plus more to taste
- 1 heaped teaspoon Chaiwalla spice mix
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
Place the non-dairy milk, coconut milk, jaggery and spice mix into a large pot.
Stir the ingredients together and place the pot over medium heat.
Bring the liquid to a boil. Strain spice mix, pour liquid back into the pot and add rice and raisins. Rebring to the boil.
Lower the heat and allow the mixture to cook at a low simmer, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pot with a spoon to remove any rice that sticks.
Allow the mixture to cook for about 20 minutes, or until it reaches your desired thickness.
Remove the pot from the heat.
Stir in the vegan butter, if using, and salt.
Taste test and add more jaggery if desired. Adjust any other seasonings to your liking.
Let the pudding cool for a bit. Chill for later or serve warm.